June 1, 2012

New Beginnings

As most of you know, I have decided to open up my own shop on Etsy called The Rusted Cottage. I plan on selling repurposed or repainted furniture, as well as homemade home decor etc. It has been so much fun hunting out the perfect pieces and watching them transform into something beautiful again. If you would like to see my shop here is the link: http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheRustedCottage

The one downside to selling your stuff, is no one ever gets to see the 'before'! So I thought this would be the perfect place to show the before and after pictures of the pieces I paint, as well as tutorials to the crafts I make.

My first project was an end table I found at a local thrift store. I instantly fell in love with the shape and the curvy legs.


With some furniture, the first time I see them I picture them a certain color. I knew this table would become a soft grey shabby chic beauty.


The top of the table had quite a few stain splotches from a poor staining job, but that is no problem!


I started by sanding the table down and fixing a few minor things that were broken. Then sprayed on a heavy duty primer called Shellac.


Then I hand brushed on a soft grey called Driftwood Grey by Martha Stewart. (As you can seen I have quite the work space :))


I then distressed it in all the places it might normally see wear and tear, added some new knobs and I was done!




So here are the before and afters:





The transforming power of paint never ceases to amaze me.

I am linked up at:

No comments:

Post a Comment