September 30, 2011

DIY Headboard

Around here we've been busy making all sorts of interesting furniture pieces for our house. Some of the most noticeable being our new headboards. Ryan made his out of an old pallet, honestly I didn't even know that they made pallets this big!

 


For a while he left it just raw wood, which looked good, just not quite finished. Last weekend he stained it, and built a new wooden frame to go around his metal bed frame. He also managed to find some old hinges while working in his parents old barn. They go so well with the "industrial rustic" look he has going in his room. 

 

 
Meanwhile over in our room I decided to make a headboard using more of the old aged fence boards we had. I cleaned them up, then traced the shape I wanted. I only had to trace one side, then Evan could use the cut pieces to trace the other side so it would be symmetrical. Originally, I was going to paint the headboard a distressed white, but I fell in love with the color of the aged wood.


 It has made such a difference to the look of our room. I love that it has a more feminine shape, but then the coloring of the wood brings in the masculine.



That's all for now. Ill try and share more of the projects were working on soon!

I was featured at Perfectly Imperfect

3 comments:

  1. Your headboard is very pretty! I agree that the feminine shape balances the masculinity of the wood. I just started working on a headboard, too. I hope it turns out just a pretty, though mine's going to be a tad more on the industrial side...

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! I'll be featuring this on the blog today....LOVELY. Thanks so much for linking it up!
    :-)
    shaunna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pallets! There are just so many things you can do with them. This is by far one of the coolest. I love the raw wood color too :o) Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete